Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How to handle spoilers: one guy's treatise

I ran across this post on the blog Book Riot, about when you are allowed to talk about the details of something and perhaps spoil it for others and when you're not.  Fun for me to ponder as your blog author, and perhaps you will enjoy it too if you like giving your opinions about stuff all the time, like me.

If I spoil the blog post right now, how meta is that?  The post includes two sections of different spoiling situations and subcategories of each section!  Bwahahaha, has the world exploded with my meta-ness?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and fun. I think the toughest one is the Sixth Sense protocol and its exception for canonical works. That's 2 very problematic judgments: is surprise critically essential and is a work in the canon? For example: in Citizen Kane is the identity of Rosebud a spoiler? It's hard to imagine it's not canonical, and it is arguable about the centrality of the plot point. But I would think knowing it would spoil the movie a bit. (And yes, I know this is sort of a cliche as a spoiler.)

    ReplyDelete